Monday, August 1, 2011

Firefly-Inspired

I grew up with a deep love of comic books, fantasy, and sci-fi, which is no surprise considering my Mom painted fantasy book-covers for a living and my formative years were spent trekking around to various sci-fi/fantasy conventions across the country. Not only that, but my Dad owned a comic book store for about as long as I can remember, so I was just primed to eventually discover and fall in love with the short-lived "space western" series, Firefly.

Alas, Fox cancelled it after barely one season, and although it was a huge thrill to eventually get to see the movie, Serenity (which came about solely because DVD sales skyrocketed), it was still only a mere taste of that universe (or 'verse, as Whedonites say). I like to think we may eventually get a bigger taste (it only took, what, 20-some years to resurrect Star Trek after the original series aired, so there's hope!), but in the meantime, I've made my own little homage to the series, using jewelry as a medium.

One of the characters, Inara Serra, is essentially a high-class courtesan (they're called Companions in that world). No wonder she wears such a variety of gorgeous jewelry, and luckily, I've been able to recreate some of it with materials at hand. Below is an example of one of my "Inara" pieces; I've included a still from the show and then my piece alongside it. Not bad, eh? I was lucky in that I was able to find that centerpiece at a garage sale. Alas, I just have the one, so once this is sold, it's doubtful I can recreate it again.


I've got a few more Inara-pieces on my Etsy site, along with one for Saffron (a recurring character played by the alluring Christina Hendricks) and one for Kaylee (which I just sold -- yay!) I hope all these pieces go to good homes with fellow Firefly fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment